Saturday, October 29, 2011

BMV'd out

Well I guess it is time I blow the dust off the blog and get back to it...its only been 2 months! Where did the  time go?

After 4 months of living in Ohio I finally have Ohio license plates and an Ohio drivers license. It has been quite the learning experience for sure. Here in Ohio they renew your plates by your birthday instead of the month the plates are issued to you. So after learning this with Geoff's plates I decided to wait until after my birthday in September. Also since my IL plates didn't expire till the end of October I had some wiggle room.

Also in Ohio you have to go to many different places to go through the whole process. Illinois is pretty dysfunctional when it comes to government operations but at least you can go to one place there and get most things done. I have decided by Ohio have all these different places only doing certain tasks they are employing more people which I guess is good since they have jobs...though we pay for it... The positives are there are barely any lines since you have to go so many places and the people are pretty friendly unlike in IL.

So here is the process:
1) Go to place A and get your Vin number checked...pay $$
2) Then get an Ohio title for your car..go next door to place A to place B..need various paperwork...pay $$
3) Go to place C to get your emissions checked.
4) Go back to place A with various paperwork and get license plates..pay $$.
5) Take written drivers exam at place D. (Drove 25 mins to get there).
6) Go back to place A with all of your paperwork and IDs to get drivers license...pay $$.

Finally you are done! And try doing that with a 1 yr old!

No comments:

Post a Comment